Trouble with gen_server

Matthew McDonnell matt@REDACTED
Tue Mar 28 16:27:13 CEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Mark Lee wrote:

> My understanding of the whole OTP architecture is pretty lacking I'm
> afraid. I'm having trouble with a gen_server. I'm making a call (as
> opposed to a cast) and providing a timeout. The timeout's being
> reached and the whole gen_server then falls over. What am I missing?

Hi Mark,
    I'm in a similar boat myself trying to learn OTP, and have found
the tutorial mentioned in this thread to be quite useful:

http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200602/msg00035.html

It implements a gen_server using a port to communicate with an
external program, using a call to the gen_server.

Cheers,
      Matt

Matt McDonnell
Email: matt@REDACTED