build questions

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Sun Mar 19 16:25:31 CET 2006

Matthias Lang wrote:
> I'm not volunteering to do it, but one or more of the following are
> potential cleaner solutions:
>
>   a) modify the make system so that mkliteral is compiled with the
>      host compiler

AFAIK the make system currently doesn't really have concepts of
host or target compilers. If it did, then hipe_mkliterals _could_
be converted to be compiled on the build machine using a compiler
for the target machine. It would require a complete rethink of how
the literals are extracted, but it is possible. (The Linux kernel
sources do this, for instance.)