Language Bindings for Erlang Again

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Jun 7 11:41:50 CEST 2006

Interesting - I heard a talk about RonR and afterwards asked the
speaker why RonR was so popular.

He thought for a bit and said something like:

"it's because the tight integration with a data base.
The RonR view of a web application is that the web application
is always driven by a data-base, so tight integration with a DB is
essential. Using RonR you get a lot for free - given a data base
schema you can automatically generate a lot of goodies"

Now I have no experience that can verify if this statement was true or
not
but it did sound like a good idea.

So the question is given a database schema, how much could we generate
from the schema alone?

I guess forms for data entry, and data table interrogation + queries
should come for free.

If we add a meta-language for layout and validation, we could generate a

lot for free. Suppose we were to say that

-record(foo, {x,y,z}).

generated HTML forms with CSS selectors that were (say)

	<form>
		... x entry ...
		... y entry ...
	</form>

And suppose we added meta-data describing who can read/write what data
base
fields with/without authentication, and how the fields are typed then I
think we could get
a lot of mileage from little effort.

Just describing the mnesia tables in some declarative language, and then
being able to
automatically generate a load of forms to manipulate this data would be
great start.

/Joe