(newbie still) compile-time checks?

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Tue Jul 11 09:49:22 CEST 2006

Jon Slenk wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm experimenting with the ping/pong code from the "Getting Started with
> Erlang" tutorial and am wondering what happens if I were to mis-spell an
> atom that is used in message passing. Are there ways to have something
> like an enumerated type of atoms, so that if I use something outside of
> the enumeration the compiler will tell me I made an error? Can Dialyzer
> or some such tool figure out these kinds of possible typographical human
> errors, or is the answer "extensive unit testing"? :-)

   i believe dialyzer will (at least often) find such typos in function calls.
for message passing you'll probably have to resort to macros... a mistyped macro
is caught be the compiler.
   of course, macros suck in a million different ways, so it's probably better
to stick with unit testing.

   mats

crappymacro.hrl
-define(ONE,1).