Strings (was: Re: are Mnesia tables immutable?)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jul 6 12:55:25 CEST 2006

--- Robert Virding <robert.virding@REDACTED> wrote:

> [lots of good stuff]

I mainly agree with your points. My only caveat here
is that strings  with an implicit encoding run the
risk of that encoding being inadvertently forgotten --
for example, when storing them in a database, changing
maintainers/developers, changing specification
version, sending strings between nodes, ...

But that problem can perhaps (and hopefully) be solved
with appropriate libraries, rather than some sort of
low-level hacking.

Best,
Thomas