question about Erlang's future

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Wed Jul 5 18:53:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

I read Joe Armstrong's PhD thesis. It's a great read for everybody
who's learning Erlang.

One passage that stood out to me was the following:

"In February 1998 Erlang was banned for new product development wit
hin Ericsson - the main reason for the ban was that Ericsson wanted to
be a consumer of software technologies rather than a producer.
In December 1998 Erlang and the OTP libraries were released subject to
an Open Source License. Since that date it has been freely available
for download from http://www.erlang.org/.

In 1998 I left Ericsson together with a number of the original Erlang
group to found a new company Bluetail AB—in all 15 people left
Ericsson. The idea behind Bluet ail was to use the Erlang technology
to program products which make Internet services more reliable. "

What does this mean for Erlang's future? Has Ericsson abandoned Erlang
development besides periodic maintenance or will Ericsson push Erlang
in new directions? Where is Erlang heading?

Regards,
Yariv