early warning - new rdbms

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Jan 25 11:12:51 CET 2006

* Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> [2006-01-25 09:46:20 +0100]:

> If anyone wants to beta-test or help out with some
> of the more advanced problems, let me know.

Hello Ulf,

I am interesting. I have been doing a lot of Mnesia based development
recently and have just started rereading the RDBMS code.
I think Mnesia is often under-estimated and can be used successfully in
many context.

> One interesting experiment might be to define
> an ISAM table type for really large ordered sets
> on disk. Combining it with rdbms, you can type-
> specify the data types and then convert to
> whatever format is expected by the ISAM files.

Could you elaborate a little on this. I was running a study to possibly
revive the Berkeley DB backend idea. My goal is to be able to store huge
amount of data efficiently with a correct query time in Mnesia.

> Some questions to those who might be interested:
>
> - I'd like to break compatibility with the old
>   rdbms in some respects. Is this a problem for
>   anyone? (speak now or forever hold your peace)

This is not a problem for us, as we prefer to support a nice dynamic
around Mnesia.

> - Do you have any suggestions or feature requests?

My interest goes to:
- Being able to make Mnesia even more versatile and configurable. Easy
  to develop and pluggable (I mean configurable) storage back-end would be nice.
- Being able to support high volume of storage efficiently in Mnesia.

What would you think of adding a way to force storage in binary instead
of list through rdbms ? (This would reduce storage space).

> - Do you want to help out?

Yes.

--
Mickaël Rémond