[erlang-questions] Why is Erlang what it is?

Dominic Williams <>
Thu Dec 14 21:46:48 CET 2006

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here - I have a strong preference
for dynamic typing, but I just want to make sure we get our arguments

Mats Cronqvist wrote:

>  but a few years ago i did a study on erlang-related bug reports in
>  our live product. the conclusion was that once we get to system test,
>  we find essentially no more type-related bugs.

This goes to show that with adequate testing, one can make reliable
systems with dynamic typing.

It seems to me this reasoning, although, valuable, does not refute the
argument that static typing might have /saved/ you a lot of testing effort.

Dominic Williams