GUIs - ruby on rails, rico

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Wed Sep 21 15:16:10 CEST 2005

I have done something like this back in the ``old days'' of the
web with Netscape 1.1 (it was around 1995 I guess).  We created a
live chat website which used server-side push to update the client
as soon as a new message was available.  For those who don't know,
server-side push is a special MIME-type created by Netscape and
supported in their browser to allow the server to replace the
content of an image.  This was the first animation on the web,
before animated GIFs came along.

Here is the really old Netscape webpage on the topic:

	http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/pushpull.html

At the time we were using ``A Patchy Server'' (NCSA + the initial
Apache patches) so prefork was just coming out...  there was no way
A Patchy Server would handle the load from the number of clients
we wanted...  so I wrote our own micro-HTTP server based around
select; pthreads were used to initially accept connections or to
accept send message events from clients; a master distribution
thread used select to push data to all of the server-side push
connections currently active.

Within the client we used HTTP frames (note: not iframes, which today
are better visually) to create a 1 pixel high frame at the bottom
of the window.  JavaScript was used on the client to update the
URL of the bottom frame with a ``message'' to send to the server.
This message was then posted within the 1 pixel high frame.
The result is the server got messages immediately, the user never
saw the page refresh, and everyone else saw the update immediately
after the master distribution thread caught up.

One nice thing was we were able to consistently keep the HTTP
server side push channel open to a client for hours at a time.
It even worked through many HTTP proxy servers.

Problems?  Definately.  Our largest one was the simple fact that
a browser getting data from a server-side push whose current
content boundary hasn't terminated wouldn't always render the
content right away.  See, if you terminate the current part in a
server-side push the client assumes the file is over, and when you
open the next boundary the client will clear the content and start
to redraw again.  So we used only 1 content object in the entire
multipart/x-mixed-replace stream.  Frequent use of <p> tags caused
the clients to redraw pretty much immediately after getting data,
but we needed like 8 <p> tags between messages.  :-)

Many years later I did this again to some extent with iframes; the
client used JavaScript to push data into an iframe (which was then
visually invisible) and the iframe posted content to the server.
The response from the server was HTML+JavaScript to update the
client's DOM tree via DHTML.  Worked like a charm.  But I didn't
reimplement the idea of server side push...  we were looking into
the idea though as we wanted some live feedback indicators in a
few places on the GUI.

I have never used XMLHttpRequest; I think it became available
in Mozilla only after I had finished debugging the iframe
implementation.  :-(

--
Shawn.

  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
   in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on
   the unreasonable man."
  -- George Bernard Shaw