(Prolog + LISP + Erlang) with integration issues versus C++

Valentin Micic valentin@REDACTED
Mon Sep 5 09:23:47 CEST 2005

> Mostly, I am on my way out.

Maybe this is what management was hoping to achieve?

As a (kind of) management, I fully understand a need to use as few languages
as possible, although my choice today would not be centered arround C/C++.
However, about 4 years ago, I did elect to use C/C++ for a "serious" system
development -- partially because it was politically correct thing to do  (I
needed the business really, really badly), but partially because I wasn't
quite convinced that my understanding of ERLANG was good enough to manage
the risk. Fortunately, I did mention ERLANG as a by-the-way thing in my
proposal. To cut the story short, C/C++ was used to gain "credibility", and
ERLANG was mentioned to gain the competitive advantage over competitors --
we have what they have, and more... and we're cheaper!

But the most critical ingredient is that customer/manager trust your ability
to deliver. Note that this trust gets proportionally thiner with each non
main-stream component you want to introduce. PROLOG, LISP & ERLANG in one
go? Even G.W. Bush wouldn't be able to sell this.

Dev, if you really want to help your company, stick around, get
Erlang-ducated (this is a thing that you do on your own, for everyting else
attend one of the Francesco's courses -- Francy, darling... do I get a
commision for this?), and wait for a good opportuinity to help. Choose
battles you can win.

Valentin