addressing a lot of processes

Gaspar Chilingarov nm@REDACTED
Fri May 20 17:23:22 CEST 2005

Hello, all!

Can you give an advice, which is more efficient in erlang in following
situation:

I have s progmar, which should process information about a lot of IP's
(8000-16000).

I've implemented logic associated with each IP in separate process - so,
for each IP I've to process I spawn separate process.
For now, I've implemented sample manager, which maps IP(string) to PID
using gb_trees. In another hand, I've seen sample in some erlang
sources, to register process under unique name say ip_127.0.0.1,
ip_127.0.0.2 etc.

This leads to generating the new atoms in runtime, and I'm conscious
that erlang's GC will not clean them if they are unused. Am I right?

--
Gaspar Chilingarov
System Administrator

t +37491 419763