Poll: Packages use

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Mar 7 11:58:31 CET 2005

--- Vlad Dumitrescu <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED>
wrote:

> * How many people use packages in their
> applications?
>     it would also be interesting to know if anyone
> uses them in a commercial
> setting.
> * How many people plan to start using packages in 6
> months to one year from
> now?

While the underlying problem is relevant, I am, after
some tinkering, not convinced the current 'packages'
are the answer. I guess my answer vector would be (no,
no, not me).

The first issue is undesirable behaviour: basically,
if atom 'm' is used as a module name, to which actual
module ("object code") do we refer? For a global name
space, it's obvious, but packages answer that question
in a deeply unsatisfactory way.

http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200304/msg00288.html

The second issue is, possibly, due to my lack of
experience: using packages didn't seem to yield
shorter, "better" or more flexible code than the
status quo, in practice. (Again, I'll admit that
practice wasn't extensive.)

So, I found no compelling reason to switch, and a good
reason not to switch.

Best,
Thomas