R10B3 crashes after >1014 tcp connections + Yaws

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Mon Jun 13 13:45:12 CEST 2005

Joel,

Since there seem to be a handful of obstacles in increasing the number
of FDs on Mac OS, you could probably consider switching the transport
from TCP to UDP.  If you implement basic error correction in UDP
(retransmission timers, dropping duplicate packets, transaction id
awareness), it could be a quite scalable solution as long as open UDP
sockets (except for the listener) are not retained on the server for a
long time.

I've been using this in one of the projects where I had exactly the same
issue with TCP's TD limit, and tested the solution with over 50k
concurrent processes handling client requests (though the size of the
server's UDP receive buffer needs to be carefully selected).  Though I
have seen that the response time per client increases quite a bit when
you go over 5000 requests per second.  Yet on a good side - I haven't
seen a degradation of server's speed measured in requests per second
with increase of number of clients).

Serge