ESense 1.3 released

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Thu Jun 9 23:42:04 CEST 2005

Hello!

Since Erlang supports a "flat" name space and the CORBA (OMG) standard is
based on Object Oriented languages, it's neccessary for Orber (the ORB)
and IC (the IDL compiler) to use this solution. Well, a similar solution
as the Java packages would have made things a lot easier. But, I'm affraid
that the solution arrived far to late. This resulted in module names,
based on the OMG specifications, that exceeded the maximum length accepted
by the "document builder". Hence, to be able to generate the documentation
(html, pdf etc), we added a "break" that would do the very same thing. My
favorite is still 'CosEventDomainAdmin_EventDomainFactory'. But, on the
other hand, compared with other, so called, "human readable" languages,
IDL specifications are about 10% in in size compared with these languages
and are far more superior when it comes to throughput. Well, CORBA is
mature technology, while the competition are buzzwords. Perhaps that is
the reason why a major OS vendor will use XML as their internal format?!

No matter what, I hope you'll enjoy using the ODK!

Best Regards,

Nick

> On 6/8/05, David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Tamas Patrovics wrote:
> > > It seems the special character comes from the HTML doc, so it's
> > > probably a bug in the official documentation.
> > [...]
> > > +    %% some module names contain strange characters (ASCII 173)
> >
> > ASCII 173 is a soft hyphen. It should be replaced by an ordinary hyphen
> > (U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS).
>
> I think the soft hyphen is only a hint for the browser, because it
> does not appear on the rendered HTML page.
>
> For example, one of the modules in question appears as
>
>   CosNotifyChannelAdmin_StructuredProxyPullConsumer
>
> not as
>
>   CosNotifyChannelAdmin_-StructuredProxyPullConsumer.
>

> Clearly, the first one seems correct, so I guess dropping the soft
> hyphen is the way to go when we need the actual module name.
>
> /Tamas

We Are The ORBs. Resistance Is Futile. Prepare To Be Assimilated!
This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been
sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to
this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it.
Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption,
interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses,
and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are
not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment,
tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.