towards an Erlang IDE

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Wed Jul 27 09:34:30 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:33:38AM +0200, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
}
}  Eclipse has a nice graphical editor framework plugin, GEF, that could be
}  used for something like that. Once the Erlide environment is in place, I
}  was thinking about trying something similar (but I'd start with something
}  simpler, like the application monitor).

I look forward to trying Erlide when it is ready.  If I can get over Java.
I think what I proposed is quite straight forward.  The weak point is that
it will, as my last effort was, be geared toward my particular coding style.

}  Regarding storing parse trees in the CVS, I think the disadvantage is just
}  as big as the problem it solves: you won't be able to easily compare/merge
}  different versions, unless using a special tool that will transform to text
}  before comparing.

The abstract Erlang syntax trees are not a binary format, it's just a
more structured textual term format.  A source code control system
should have no problem tracking changes.  What I did have in mind though
was automating the conversion to and from normal .erl source files.
Ultimately the IDE would include an editor which handled all of this
transparently.  It would check out a syntax tree representing a module,
convert it to a source file and place it into the editing window.

	-Vance