standalone erlang

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Feb 18 11:11:57 CET 2005

--- Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@REDACTED> wrote:

> i think it is a trade off. i like things to be
> simple, but not only for
> the user, but also for the developer.
> the simplest thing for the user is a ''one file
> installation that is the
> executable''.
> if it is sufficiently simple for the developer to
> create such a beast,
> then i am all for it.

I think it depends. If your users are naive, or have a
merely casual interest in your program, then a
painless "single-binary" distribution might also save
you from a lot of whining later, even if it requires
more work up front. Often a good thing if you find
yourself in that situation :-)

(An installation which also can be cleanly uninstalled
is, of course, appreciated by many. The Windows way
seems to be not to go without a fight, though.)

I would definitely agree that _requiring_ a messy
procedure for delivering a system is less attractive.

Best,
Thomas