standalone erlang

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Feb 16 16:22:49 CET 2005

SAE has a long history.

As far as I know it is currently broken.

It has actually worked for windows (once) - and I had a pure
Erlang program that could make a windows executable on any
Erlang box.

To do this I had to reverse engineer the Microsoft COFF format
which took me two weeks and was painful :-(

Unfortunately this has never made it to the main release and
porting it to each new release so painful that I don't want to do this
anymore.

When I ran a series of experiments on planet lab I wanted to install
Erlang on a few hundred nodes - to do this I made a minimal release
- basically install OTP then run a shell script to remove all unnecessary
sources, then retain only the beam code in stdlib, kernel and compiler
and then make some scripts to pack/unpack and relocate everything.

This is not "stand-alone" but does reduce the total number of files
needed significantly.

/Joe