Erl LDAP server

Eranga Udesh casper2000a@REDACTED
Tue Aug 30 12:11:32 CEST 2005

Sorry, could ask in my previous email. Is it a LDAP client or the server you
did? I found a milling thread which talks about a client.

- Eranga

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Hinde [mailto:sean.hinde@REDACTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 2:58 PM
To: Eranga Udesh
Cc: Erlang Questions
Subject: Re: Erl LDAP server

On 30 Aug 2005, at 09:36, Mickael Remond wrote:

> Eranga Udesh wrote:
>
>> Uffe,
>> Thanks for the pointers. I went through them already. Looks like
>> there's no
>> already developed one, isn't it?
>>

> I made some draft work already but never manage to get it finished.
> My plans was to support a fixed commonly used LDAP schema to use he
> resulting software as a basis for authentication.
> I reach a point were I was able to log into several Linux
> Workstation using PAM LDAP pointing to the Erlang small LDAP server.
>
> I think Erlang provides everything to write a very nice and
> performant LDAP server as ASN.1 library is good and you have Mnesia
> to store your data and access them with low latency.
>
> Samuel Tardieu wrote some years ago an LDAP server in Erlang and
> told me it was lightning fast, but it never reach the point where
> the code was satisfying enough for him to get published.
>
> I think writing such a server is relatively easy with fixed schema
> and can get much much more complicated if you plan to support
> schema definition and change.

Yep, There is another one out there that I started and Chandru
finished off. Fixed schema (several fixed schemas actually). It is
nothing more than a pattern match across the asn.1 structures (which
could be directly taken from from eldap), with a simple state machine
to cover bind (login).

It was very fast.

Sean