OpenPoker: Business question

ke.han ke.han@REDACTED
Fri Aug 26 19:55:41 CEST 2005

Joel,
There are a couple of routes you can take.
Here are some suggestions:

1 - BSD wrappered with terms under with the license stays valid.
The wrapper says that the license applies so long as the licensee either
stays non-commercial or is paying license fees; revoked under any other
conditions.

2 - Dual license
You can choose to license under open source form which stay valid as
long as the licensee stays non-commercial.  The licensee must switch to
a closed license when licensee becomes commercial.
This is similar to what MySQL does.  I'm sure the MySQL lawyers have
been over their licenses very thoroughly; you may want to study them.

I am guessing that anyone starting with non-commercial usage but has
aims to become commercial will not want to share their code changes even
when they are still non-commercial to protect their future investment.
This is why I think the first choice may be the simplest.

I don't know much about the online poker, but I have friends who are
heavily involved.  I could put you in touch if you wish. My guess is
their perspective is that anyone that has the funds to invest heavily in
a commercial poker site will simply license from one of the many known
vendors and not give your product a second look.  So you will be
competing on price to enable startups with less funds to use your product.

good luck, ke han