distributed application - replication of state

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Aug 25 13:59:51 CEST 2005

Hello,

I was experimenting with the 'dist' distributed application (from Ulf's
"OTP Release Handling Tutorial") to implement controlled handling of
network partitioning using a UDP heartbeat, and came up with the
following question.

When there is a crash of one of two distributed nodes, or a network
partition I would like to ensure that the second node takes over the
state from the other node.  In current implementation, however, the
state is taken over smoothly only when the application is running at
secondary node and it gets started at the primary node.

Is there some common approach on how that state should be replicated
between two nodes?  Do we need a separate application running on all
nodes responsible for replication, that our distributed application
would consult upon startup to initialize the state?  I suppose that the
same problem had to be solved in mnesia.

Regards,

Serge

--
Serge Aleynikov