(Prolog + LISP + Erlang) with integration issues versus C++

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Aug 25 12:55:26 CEST 2005

Dev Functional wrote:
> Is it a good idea to do AI programming in Erlang ?
> (eg. Neural Networks, Graph Traversal, Search Trees, Classifiers and
> Pattern Recognition)
>
> If yes, then we will try to move our AI code from Prolog, LISP to Erlang.
> If not, what should be the alternative approach ?

I think it all depends on the size of your Neural Network (NN) and
convergence time constraints.  If you have a small set of neurons, and
are not restricted on how long a supervised training over a set of
controlled templates should take, then it shouldn't matter which
language is used.

However if the above-mentioned constraints matter, I suggest that you
would use a combination of Erlang + C (or some other language suitable
for high-performance arithmetic) to build a modular NN, where Erlang
would be responsible for distributing computations over several
computers, and a C-port program would be used to implement the algorithm
of NN training for a subset of neurons.

Regards,

Serge