Mnesia vs MySQL

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Aug 10 15:07:41 CEST 2005

Mnesia is different from MySQL in several ways. Whether or not the differences are in Mnesia's favour certainly depends on what you need to do:

- No semantic gap for erlang programmers. Mnesia operates directly on Erlang terms
  and uses Erlang semantics for accesses
- Low latency. E.g. dirty_read from a mnesia table takes only a few microseconds. There is no way you
  can read a MySQL object as quickly. This assumes that your application is written in erlang, of course.
- In-service upgrade. Mnesia can be upgraded without service interruption.
- Small memory footprint (not that I know how much MySQL uses)

There are certainly other differences. I'll let someone else continue.

/Uffe

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED [mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED]On Behalf Of Inswitch Solutions
Sent: den 10 augusti 2005 14:56
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Mnesia vs MySQL

Hi,

MySql database has been improved a lot and we are evaluating it using ODBC Erlang application.
As far as I know MySql has all mnesia features (replicas, distribution, ..), plus GUI administration and SQL.

What points in favour does Mnesia database have over MySQL? Perfomarnce issues?

thanks, Eduardo

Prepaid Expertise - Programmable Switches