editing erlang programs in vim

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Mon Aug 8 16:30:12 CEST 2005

Nifty!  If I can find the time, I'll try it.

I tossed out the Erlang syntax coloring that comes with vim and made
my own.  The big difference is that I do syntax coloring of function
heads.  For example, in this code:

fib(N) when N < 2 -> 1;
fib(N) -> fib(N-2) + fib(N-1).

everything to the left of the "->" on each line is in it's own color.
This makes code *much* easier to read, at least for me.  Other
differences are:

* Coloring of lists, tuples, and binaries, which help make syntax
errors more obvious.
* Generally more robust handling than the default colorer (handles
character constants correctly, etc.).
* No coloring of BIFs and standard library functions, because I don't
see the point.

If anyone would like to try it, let me know.

James