ex11, plotting and Cairo ...

Mats-Ola Persson md1matso@REDACTED
Thu Aug 4 02:38:31 CEST 2005

1 aug 2005 kl. 15.16 skrev Bjorn Gustavsson:
>  We have a spent far too much time to implement
> windows, dialog boxes, menus, and even fonts on top of OpenGL.
> Also, some
> drivers on some platforms have bugs in basic OpenGL features
> (generally in
> features that games never use).
>
> Another drawback with SDL is that it is a game toolkit. On the Mac
> platform,
> a feature that Wings depends but generally not used in games are
> broken,
> forcing me to use an old version of SDL.

Hi all,

For the last couple of months I have, as part of my master thesis,
made a prototype implementation of a binding to wxWidgets.

Currently the project is really only a large collection of different
hacks and very pre-alpha-ish. A few simple GUI apps have, however,
been implemented, among others a re-implementation of etop.

Screenshots can be found at http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md1matso/
etop/ (running MacOSX)

I will release the code soon hopefully. Probably, as my thesis comes
to an end, perhaps earlier. The thesis *should* be completed sometime
this month, I'm currently more than half through :)

A quick word about the library:

Unfortunately, the binding itself is VERY low-level and is more or
less a translation of the C++ interface to Erlang. This is due to the
fact that wxWidgets is very large. It would not be feasible to write
all the wrappers and stuff by hand. Instead most of the code is
generated directly from wxWidgets header files. I can say that
Erlang's search for a nice GUI library does not end here, but
hopefully one can use this library to build nice abstractions upon.

Kenneth Lunding has asked me to present the project at the Erlang
User Conference and if I can stand the heat, I will ;)

/MO