An ode to Erlang

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Apr 20 11:52:20 CEST 2005

--- PeterL <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
> But the OS you run Erlang on, may have some problems
> with the total number
> of file descriptors (one per TCP-connection). How
> many file descriptors
> is it
> possble to have on a standard Linux/FreeBSD machine
> with 512 MB RAM?

>From what it sounded like, the performance of the
Erlang code per se likely won't be a problem. In
essence, I don't think Joel will be making a lot of
sacrifices by using Erlang in this case.

OS or hardware limitations could be the bottleneck,
sure, but is that an Erlang problem? I expect an
ordinary C program would face the same capacity
problems.

(And, as Simon points out elsewhere, resiliency is
another issue.)

Best,
Thomas