JMS <--> erlang

Enrique Marcote Peña mpquique@REDACTED
Tue Nov 16 01:11:27 CET 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 23:08, Mickael Remond wrote:
> Enrique Marcote Peña wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are thinking about using JMS for communicating an erlang application
> > with J2ME clients.  Do you find it doable? Like/dislike the idea.  Better
> > alternatives? XMPP?
>
> I never liked the JMS protocol as being defined as a Java based protocol
> with all other languages being "second class citizen".

I knew it Mickaël, I saw your "Use XMPP!" post while doing some googling :-)

> XMPP could be a good bet. Another option could be to have a dedicated
> server acting as a router of regarding messages sent as UBF, ASN.1,
> XML-RPC messages.
>
> Maybe if you could tell us a bit more about what your are trying to do
> we could provide more contextuals advices.

We'll need to send (push) around 20000 messages per day (100 bytes each) from
an erlang based system to J2ME devices.  Messages must be acknowledged and
responded back from the handsets, thus communication occurs in both
directions.  We also need to be able to broadcast a message to a group of
handsets.

We'll be developing the J2ME clients too.

We are planning to use GPRS for communications, since SMS would be too
expensive.

Which MOM shall we use? A priori we don't have any restrictions... but the
development time, of course.

> I hope this helps, however.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,