make install

Roger Price <>
Sun May 30 14:14:58 CEST 2004

I would like to suggest that make install cleans out any preceeding Erlang
installation from /usr/local/lib/erlang.

I have been using the intermediate releases otp-20040516-1644 and
otp-20040518-1906, but when otp_src_R9C-1 was released, I decided to
migrate.  I downloaded, ./configure'd then ran make and make install.
I then tried re-compiling "pint0.3/pint.erl":

:~/pint0.3> erlc -W pint.erl
Compiler function compile:compile/3 failed:

=ERROR REPORT==== 30-May-2004::12:56:43 ===
beam/beam_load.c(1091): Error loading module compile:
  use of opcode 113; this emulator supports only up to 108

=ERROR REPORT==== 30-May-2004::12:56:43 ===
failed: badfile

The problem is that /usr/local/lib/erlang is corrupted.

I cleaned out the Erlang installation: rm -rf /usr/local/lib/erlang
and re-ran make install.   The compiler erlc now runs correctly.

I suggest that the installation procedure include
   rm -rf /usr/local/lib/erlang