[OT] Re: revision control

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Thu May 13 16:57:22 CEST 2004

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> writes:

> I wouldn't underestimate the power of habit. Arch and darcs have
> very different approaches to the "mainstream" CVS setup, so the
> learning curve is steep. I'd probably have to be in a particularily
> good mood to decide to embark on learning them - especially as (as
> you say) my needs are simple and don't need the full power of arch.

I found the learning curve of Arch pretty steep, but Darcs is a
doddle. One evening is enough to have fun with it -- easier than CVS.

I haven't used any of these systems seriously yet. I just mentioned
Darcs because my first impression is extremely good, and not because
of written-in-functional-language value (I don't particularly care).

It'll take a few years for all these new version control systems to
shake themselves out, and I'm not suggesting we choose a standard.

It is unfortunate that Sourceforge makes the Jungerl hard to work with
though, so I look forward to the world finding consensus on a better
alternative in the future. Hopefully one that's so nice and easy that
even Joe will like it :-)

Cheers,
Luke