ex11 + ssh X11 forwarding

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Sun May 9 06:43:16 CEST 2004

>>>>> "ja" == Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> writes:

ja> How many differnt protocols can we distiguish my parsing the first
ja> line of the protocol??

I've been catching up on my erlang-questions reading, and the very
first question that hit me while reading the "middle man" discussion
is: how do you deal with protocols where the server (the thing being
contacted by the client/initiator) is supposed to say the first thing?
NNTP, SMTP, LMTP, IMAP4, and POP3 all have the server send a message
immediately after the client establishes a TCP connection between the
two.

I'd guess that you'd require either:

    1. The cia_recently_declassified_clairvoyance_has_remaining_bugs.erl
       module.

    2. Some sort of hint to the polyglot that when a transport
       protocol session is established (for those that are indeed
       session-centric) that you need to speak up first and, by the
       way, here are some hint(s) of what you might say to get the
       conversation started.

-Scott