fault-tolerance

Clara Benac Earle cb47@REDACTED
Mon Mar 29 15:57:15 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have written a simple client-server system in Erlang using the generic
server behaviour. My system should recover gracefully when a client
process dies. To do that I am using the supervsion tree behaviour for
restarting the client process and the process_flag, link and handle_info
primitives in the server to trap the exit signal from the client process
and delete the information about the crashed process from the state of
the server.

Now, I am having difficulties to test my program. To test the fault
tolerance all I am doing is to start pman and kill a process client and
observe the messages I am printing on the screen. The other way I am
testing it is by writing code in the client which will make the client
die. In this way I have a better knowledge of at which point the client
dies. However, none of this two ways of debugging is very satisfactory.

I wanted to ask what people does for debugging fault-tolerant programs.

Cheers,
Clara

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.