Fun with open_port

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Sun Mar 21 02:50:57 CET 2004

My observations are below.  I ran this on a Gentoo Linux box running:

Linux version 2.4.20-xfs-r4 (root@REDACTED) \
	(gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 \
		(Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r3, propolice)) \
	#2 SMP Sat Dec 6 16:35:29 EST 2003

My erlang installation is the R9C-r2 ebuild.

Short is, I'm not seeing what you are, and I shouldn't either, nobody
should.  Compiling and loading a module should have no bearing on
the exit_status message being delivered by a port program, and the
port program should not be creating zombies...  perhaps something is
wrong with your operating system?

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

dreck).
./dreck.erl:5: syntax error before: ')'
./dreck.erl:2: function r/0 undefined
error
2> c(dreck).
{ok,dreck}
3> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.62>,{exit_status,0}}
4> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.63>,{exit_status,0}}
5> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.64>,{exit_status,0}}
6> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.65>,{exit_status,0}}
7> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.66>,{exit_status,0}}
8> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.67>,{exit_status,0}}
9> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.68>,{exit_status,0}}
10> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.69>,{exit_status,0}}
11> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.70>,{exit_status,0}}
12> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.71>,{exit_status,0}}
13> c(dreck).
{ok,dreck}
14> dreck:r().
{#Port<0.74>,{exit_status,0}}

--
Shawn.

  Afternoon, n.:
  	That part of the day we spend worrying about how we wasted the morning.