The Great Computer Language Shootout is back

Brent Fulgham bfulg@REDACTED
Tue Jul 27 20:46:10 CEST 2004

--- Isaac Gouy <igouy2@REDACTED> wrote:
> Last month there were a few postings about the
> Erlang code in "The
> Great Computer Language Shootout"
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/lang/erlang/
>
> > Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> > i have sent a wc.erl (see below)
>
> My guess is that this solution exceeds the max time
> allowed by the
> Shootout test program.
>
> Using the same approach for sumcol takes ~51s on my
> machine with
> Standalone Erlang (probably over the max time on the
> Shootout test
> machine). How do we do this faster?

Yes -- the tests are failing due to timeouts.  I keep
imagining that I will find the time to figure out the
problem, but to date have not.

> > Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> > Shoutout benchmark did not use native compilation
>
> So let us know how to use native compilation!
> Use the Shootout mailing list, or email Brent.

True.  However, I created a "HIPE" entry for
native-compiled Erlang.  Unfortunately, this does not
seem to make a substantial difference in this case (or
perhaps I am passing the wrong options to the
compiler).

This has the feel of an alogrithm problem.  I know
Erlang is quite bad at text munging (bad just meaning
speed in this context), but this is a very poor
result.  I'm sure there is a better solution to avoid
the timeout.

Thanks,

-Brent