running linked-in drivers outside of erts?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Sun Feb 29 22:58:11 CET 2004

Ok, so I'm building a whole slew of drivers this week, and I want
them to run both in erts, and outside as a port process.  Reason is,
for early development or environments where I can't have the node crash
due to a driver bug, I want the safety of the port process - but other
users of the driver, or in some situations, I may want to use a loaded
driver for performance/memory/etc.

Has anyone thought about writing a driver compatability layer that
would offer most of the driver_* APIs, but in an external shell? This
would let the a driver written for erl_ddll to be loaded in an external
port process.

--
Shawn.