Comparing number of lines of code Erlang <-> C

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Mon Feb 23 12:05:54 CET 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Åke Ai Johansson (LN/EAB) wrote:

> Erlang is usually more compact regarding lines of code than for example C.
>
> Is there a factor that most people agree on?

  No

> If there is: What is the factor and has it been verified in a real situation, for example when a system has been re-written?

  Little  systems  might  get   re-written  but  big  ones  are  never
re-written  with  the same  functionality,  also  results from  little
systems don't scale nicely ...

  If you  re-write in  *any* language (say  a C->C rewrite)  the #code
lines will  go down and  the functionality will  go up - so  it's very
difficult to draw conclusions.

  In one study  (a *long* time ago) a study of  the Ericsson MD110 was
made and  certain functions  were re-coded -  this got  code reduction
factors of between  6 and 22 (this is from memory)  - but nobody could
agree why :-)

  I think 6 is about right -  If you say something over 10 then people
would never believe you (even if it were right :-)

  To be on the safe side get a computer program to print out:

  > (Ec/C with alpha sub-coalescing of meta-paradigmatic terms) = 5.8764532

  /Joe