Advantages of a large number of threads cf other approaches?

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 11:51:05 CET 2004

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Did I mention that Smalltalk-80 has TWO key features? OO is one,
>> and (simulated) concurrency is the other.
> Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@REDACTED> replied:
> That would be interesting news to me - where is the concurrency in
> Smalltalk-80?
>
> Fire up your copy of Squeak, open a Browser, and in the Class
> Category pane in the top left corner you will see the class category
> "Kernel-Processes".  Click on that, and in the Class pane (second
> pane in the top row) you will see
>     Delay
>     EventSensor
>     InputSensor
>     Process
>     ProcessorScheduler
>     Semaphore

Oh, right - but this process stuff isn't very central to
Smalltalk-as-a-language (not in the way that concurrency is for Erlang,
and also not suitable for the way concurrency is used in Erlang).

IOW I think it's an accident that both Erlang and Smalltalk are great
languages with concurrency.

> (Oh, you don't have Squeak to check this out?  It's free.  www.squeak.org)

I know, I used to have one :-)
It's just been a few years since I last fired it up.

Regards,
Jo
--
Currently looking for a new job.