Bridging two distributed Erlang node groups ?

nhead@REDACTED nhead@REDACTED
Sat Feb 7 10:29:22 CET 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:24:26 +0100
Mickael Remond <mickael.remond@REDACTED> wrote:

> You can do that by setting on a given node, different cookie for
> different node. You can use auth:set_cookie(Node, Cookie) to partition
> your Erlang cluster.

Oh yes, I had missed that form of the set_cookie function !

Following your idea I would see things in my original scenario being setup with three partitioned networks:

1) The monitor and control group, MC[1..n] with a "gateway" node GW1
2) The embedded application group AP[1...n] with a "gateway" node GW2
3) The bridging group containing just GW1 & GW2

The distribution carrier in groups 1 & 2 would be traditional E'net (or some similar thing on a 1553 bus), the distribution on group 3 would be the implemented using the protocol for the very slow point to point link.

The next query that I have is then - can I have a different net_ticktime for group 3 than for 1 & 2 (ie is net_ticktime a function of the distribution carrier)?  Reading the docs leads me to understand that it is more to do with net_kernel, of which there would only be one instance on the gateway nodes.

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to set the ticktime to 4*500=2000 seconds for the apps running inside groups 1&2, but I would have to do so for group 3. Or have I missed something obvious here?

Thanks for any further suggestions,

N.

PS: For those wondering about this strange point to point link: no it isn't using the "IP over carrier pigeon" RFC but something almost as unique -- several million kilometers of vacuum between a big antenna on earth and a littzle antenna on a satellite (around Mars, say).