Broken debian package ?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Sun Dec 12 10:19:21 CET 2004

Brent Fulgham writes:

 > I am aware of the problem, but I can't recreate the issue, nor
 > identify what's unique about the hardware of the people
 > encountering the problem.

I played around a bit more

  - The verion in debian-unstable crashes during startup on my home PC,
    an old AMD Duron running 2.4.27

  - The version in debian-testing crashes with a bit of provocation
    on a server at work:

      | matthias@REDACTED:~/corelatus/api/erl/test$ /usr/bin/erl
      | Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]
      |
      | Eshell V5.3.6.3  (abort with ^G)
      | 1>
      | [1]+  Stopped                 /usr/bin/erl
      | matthias@REDACTED:~/corelatus/api/erl/test$ fg
      | /usr/bin/erl
      | Segmentation fault

    That machine is a Pentium II, also running 2.4.27

That's only two machines, but it doesn't really look hardware related.

The startup from the from-source-compile I usually use:

      | Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3 [source] [hipe]

So, you have threads enabled and I don't. A fresh compile from R9C-2
source with --enable-threads produces exactly the same symptoms as in
the debian package, i.e. segfault if I ^Z and the 'fg'.

The problem seems to be related to threaded IO. Anyone have some clues
for how to proceed?

Matthias