node connections

Dustin Sallings <>
Wed Apr 21 08:37:56 CEST 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 23:21, Matthias Lang wrote:

> Have you tried something simple first, like connecting two nodes on
> the same machine?
>
> window1:  erl -name  -setcookie blaha
>
> window2:  erl -name  -setcookie blaha
>
> window1:  net:ping('').
>           pong
>
> There are a number of possible problems, some of which could be
> eliminated if I could guess what your command lines were, which Erlang
> release(s) you're running and which OS your machines are running. But
> my remote mind-reading powers aren't in such top form right now.

	I got it working between two nodes on the same machine.

Here's what I've got:

	Both systems are Darwin 7.3 (MacOS X 10.3.3).  I grabbed the latest
erlang/OTP from source.  The machines are on the same subnet (I'm on
one of them and sshed into the other).

dustinti:~/prog/snippets/erlang 507% erl -name dustinti -setcookie hi
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [source]

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
()1> auth:cookie().
hi
()2> net:ping('').
pang

rubik:~/prog/snippets/erlang 506% erl -name rubik -setcookie hi
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [source]

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
()1> auth:cookie().
hi

	I've been using a cookie that was auto-generated on one machine and
copied to the other.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <>