essential Erlang

Miguel Barreiro Paz enano@REDACTED
Thu Sep 25 18:10:19 CEST 2003

> What about making them into Linux kernel threads, and making beam known
> as an executeable format to the kernel?
>
> I believe something like that was done with Java a long time ago,
> but maybe this was only some special case of shebang (#!/path/to/interpreter)

IIRC java bytecode was magically recognized as an executable format with a
special interpreter and little else. Back then Linux threads were either
user-level "green threads" or an early and not too stable implementation
of the later clone()  based threads.

On the latest linux kernels the thread overhead is far, far lower, and the
scheduling latency is much better too. But in the C world people still
considers 10000 threads to be a "doable but completely insane number".

Regards,

Miguel