essential Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 20:41:09 CEST 2003

From: "Joachim Durchholz"
... lots of good points about OSs ...

> Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> > After describing this architecture, it begins to look like a OS kernel
(I think)
> > and I am pleased to notice that :-) In the future maybe this will be
*the* OS...
> > [...]
> > Is this only an utopia, or could there be something that will work in
real life?

> Yes, it is an utopia.

>From your reply I think you misunderstood me. I'll have to be more careful,
it's been a while since using that much English :-) My question referred not
to the Erlang OS, but to breaking apart ERTS and OTP into several loosely
coupled components. Joe did make a case for it, and I tried to propose a
concrete splitting line. Then I began fantasizing :-)

> I'd find it more interesting if there were a way of making Erlang
> interface better with C programs. I've been interfacing Windows with a
> non-C language, and it's been a pain even though it was a direct-call
> interface - I'm wondering how much worse it will be to write a driver
> program for Erlang... (semiautomatically generating drivers from C
> include files would help a lot)

That's a problem for me too. I hear EDTK is a good tool, but it doesn't work
on Windows.

[Side note: Yaws doesn't work either, and I think there are other
applications too. Is it a fundamental problem, or just there wasn't anyone
who had time and interest?]

regards,
Vlad