Use-defined guard (was: RE: Enhanced type guard syntax])

Sven-Olof Nystr|m svenolof@REDACTED
Tue Sep 23 11:17:57 CEST 2003

 >  > I can't seem to find this proposal online. Link anyone?
 >
 > I have a copy. I could post it on the list, if Richard does not have
 > any objections.

See below.

Sven-Olof

Pattern Abstraction

Richard O'Keefe

There is one serious defect which Prolog has never overcome, although
successor languages such as Mercury have addressed it.  It is a defect
which languages such as SML, Miranda, Haskell, and Clean do not have,
although it is shared by Scheme and Lisp generally.

The defect is that Prolog has no support for abstract data types.  In
fact, Prolog pretty well goes out of its way to discourage abstract data
types.  Everything in Prolog is a term, and a term is either a variable
or a functor applied to arguments which are themselves terms.  Not only
are there primitive operations (var/1, nonvar/1, functor/3, arg/3) which
can be used to compose and decompose any data structure whatever, so
that abstraction cannot be enforced, Prolog's normal mode of dealing
with data is pattern matching, which means that abstraction is
penalised.

The classic example is list processing.  One can quite easily set up an
abstract data type list(T) with operations

    null([]).

    pair([H|T], H, T).

and then write

    append(X, Y, Y) :- null(X).
    append(X, Y, Z) :- pair(X, H,U), pair(Z, H,V), append(U, Y, V).

instead of

    append([], Y, Y).
    append([H|X1], Y, [H|Z1]) :- append(X1, Y, Z1).

but then one has not merely the overhead of calling extra predicates,
but the rather disastrous loss of first-argument indexing.  All Prolog
really needs to solve this problem is a form of predicate definition
that is guaranteed to be expanded inline, but this is not one of the
matters that the ISO committee chose to address (not the least of the
reasons why I have harsh words to say about that committee and that
standard).  Another thing that would restore indexing would be to use
negative clauses such as

    <- null(L), pair(L, _, _).

to declare that null/1 and pair/3 are mutually exclusive.  SB-Prolog
has for a long time used such knowledge about built-in predicates
(notably arithmetic comparison and term comparison) to allow a programmer
to write e.g.

    max(X, Y, X) :- X > Y.
    max(X, Y, Y) :- X =< Y.

and get mutual exclusion of clauses without cuts.  However, as Erlang
has the typical functional ``commit to first successful match'' rule,
it doesn't need negative clauses to get exclusion.

Erlang has Prolog-like problems with abstract data types.  First, all
Erlang data structures are terms, built from variables, constants,
pairs, and tuples, and there are primitive features of the language for
composing and decomposing terms, so it is quite impossible to enforce
encapsulation, at least, not without imposing a type system.  Second,
Erlang too normally operates on data structures by means of patterns,
which literally make the structure of data visible.  Unlike Prolog,
Erlang does not rely on first-argument (or any other) indexing, but it
does not (and should not) allow general user-defined functions in
guards, so something like

    append(X, Y) when empty(X) -> Y;
    append(X, Y) when {H,T} = pair(X) -> make_pair(H, append(T,Y)).

would not be allowed.  There are good reasons for this, and I do not
want to overturn this feature of Erlang.  But we do need something to
put in its place if we are to support even weak data abstraction, and we
need data abstraction very much if we are going to have 10MSLOC programs
that we can hope to trust.  (I note that a large chunk of New Zealand
was without emergency telephone service for several days in the week
just ending, due to a software problem.  Probably written in C. (:-))

Note that the disallowed append/2 code I showed above has a rather
unpleasant property, which the inlined-simple-predicates approach in
Prolog is thankfully free of:  composing a pair and decomposing a pair
use different forms.  This increases the burden on the programmer.
There is no symmetry at all that can be exploited to make the
correspondence easier to remember.

There is another major property which a good solution to the problem
should have:  it should be fully compatible with an entire absence of
any preprocessor.  At the end of this note I shall explain what is badly
wrong with records in Erlang.

The pattern abstraction proposal is quite simple.  There are three ways
an abstract pattern can be used:
- to compose a term
- to decompose a term
- to update a term (that is, compose a new term similar to an old one with
   some differences.
A pattern definition is basically a restricted kind of function
definition, which is rewritten to define a composition function, a
decomposition function, and an update function.  Each of the three ways
of using an abstract pattern is defined by rewriting to a call to one of
the three derived functions.

Abstract patterns begin with a sharp, like records.  Unlike records,
they use round parentheses instead of curly braces.  Also unlike
records, they are executable code, not a kind of macro, so they may come
from modules other than the lexically enclosing one.  A pattern
definition is a restricted function definition whose heads are decorated
with a sharp and whose bodies are patterns (possibly involving other
abstract patterns).

    definition +:= patclause {';' patclause}... '.'

    patclause ::= '#' head ['when' guard] '->' pattern

    pattern +:= '#' [module ':'] name '(' [patterns.] ')'

    primary +:= '#' [module ':'] name '(' [expressions] ')'
             |  primary '#' [module ':'] name '(' [expressions] ')'

Here's append/2 using abstract patterns.

    #empty() -> [].
    #pair(H,T) -> [H|T].
    #head(H) -> [H|_].
    #tail(T) -> [_|T].

    append1(#empty(), Y) -> Y;
    append1(#pair(H,T), Y) -> #pair(H,append1(T,Y)).

    append2(#empty(), Y) -> Y;
    append2(#head(H)=#tail(T), Y) -> #pair(H,append2(T,Y)).

What does this mean?  A pattern definition basically defines three
functions:  a function to use for composition, a function to use for
decomposition, and a function to use for update.  For the sake of
exposition, let's name the composition function for #x/n '#x'/n, the
decomposition function 'n=x'/1, and the update function '!x'/n+1.

    '#empty'() -> [].      % composition function
    '0=empty'([]) -> {}.   % decomposition function
    '!empty'([]) -> [].    % update function

    '#pair'(H,T) -> [H|T].
    '2=pair'([H|T]) -> {H,T}.
    '!pair'([_|_], H,T) -> [H|T].

    '#head'(H) -> error(). % useless composition function
    '1=head'([H|_]) -> H.
    '!head([_|T], H) -> [H|T].

    '#tail'(T) -> error(). % useless composition function
    '1=tail'([_|T]) -> T.
    '!tail'([H|_], T) -> [H|T].

    append1(X, Y) when {} = '0=empty'(X) -> Y;
    append1(X, Y) when {H,T} = '2=pair'(X) ->
        '#pair'(H, append1(T,Y)).

    append2(X, Y) when {} = '0=empty'(X) -> Y;
    append2(X, Y) when H = '1=head'(X), T = '1=tail'(Y) ->
        '#pair'(H, append2(T,Y)).

After inline expansion, these two definitions would be identical to each
other and to the usual definition.

Suppose we are given a pattern definition

    #p(P11,...,P1n) when G1 -> Q1;
    #p(Pk1,...,Pkn) when Gk -> Qk.

The composition function is obtained very simply by turning #p into '#p'.

The decomposition function basically switches the left and right sides:

    'n=p'(Q1) when G1 -> {P11,...,P1n};
    'n=p'(Qk) when Gk -> {Pk1,...,Pkn}.

However, for the sake of field selection notation, and for efficiency,
the translation is simplified when n=1:

    '1=p'(Q1) when G1 -> P11;
    '1=p'(Qk) when Gk -> Pk1.

The update function has to copy the bits that aren't mentioned and
replace the bits that are.  Define Q'i to be Qi with anonymous variables
replaced by new variables, Q"i and G"i to be Q'i and Gi with the
original named variables consistently replaced by new variables.  Then
we get

    '!p'(Q"1,P11,...,P1n) when G"1 -> Q'1;
    '!p'(Q"k,Pk1,...,Pkn) when G"k -> Q'k.

All of these translations have to make sense.  In particular:
1.  every variable used in a guard must be defined in both the
    argument patterns and the replacement pattern corresponding.
2a. If the composition function is to be usable, Qi must be fully
    determined by Pi1...Pin and Gi, that is, have no variable,
    anonymous or otherwise, that is not assigned a value by them.
2b. On the other hand, if an update function is to be useful, there
    should be some anonymous variables in Qi, or else why not
    just use a composition function?
3.  Pij must be fully determined by Qi and Gi, that is, have no variable,
    anonymous or otherwise, that is not assigned a value by them.

This actually turns out to be too strict.  There is no point in having
an abstract pattern that can only be used for composition; we already
have perfectly good functions for that.  But there is some sense in
having an abstract pattern that can only be used for decomposition.
Accordingly, if condition 2a is violated by the ith clause, that clause
of the composition function becomes

    '#p'(Pi1,...,Pin) when Gi -> error(...)

When an abstract pattern is invoked as part of a pattern,

    #[m:]p(P1,...,Pn) = E

it is as if

    {P1,...,Pn} = [m:]'n=p'(E)

were invoked instead, if n~=1, or as if

    P1 = [m:]'1=p'(E)

were invoked, if n=1.  Since abstract patterns are state independent and
have no side effects, it doesn't matter whether the translation
preserves left to right order or not; suffice it that pattern match
translation can preserve left to right order if we want.  If #p/1 is an
abstract pattern, it may also be invoked as a field reference:

    E0#p

is as if

    '1=p'(E0)

had appeared instead.  This applies to guard expressions as well as
general expressions.  Note that E#p is different from #p(E).

When an abstract pattern is invoked as part of an expression,

    #[m:]p(E1,...,En)

it is as if

    [m:]'#p'(E1,...,En)

were invoked instead.  This clearly preserves the order and embedding of
expressions, so left to right execution order is not at all disturbed.

When an abstract pattern is invoked for update,

    V = E0#[m:]p(E1,...,En)

it is as if

    V = [m:]'!p'(E0, E1,...,En)

were invoked instead.  The only way this could perturb left to right
ordering is if the module prefix involved an expression other than a
variable or atom, and in that case the translation

    (ET = E0, V = m:'!p'(ET, E1, ..., En)

can be used (assuming that Erlang does or will allow arbitrary primaries
as module prefixes) where ET is a new variable.  The preservation of
left to right order is why the `base datum' argument of an update
function is the first rather than the last.

There is one further condition.  At the moment, if P is any pattern, and
P = P makes sense, (mainly, P contains no unbound variables), we expect
it to be true.  But consider

    #p(1) -> [];
    #p(2) -> [].

    Y = #p(2), #p(2) = Y

will fail, because it turns into

    '#p'(1) -> []; '#p'(2) -> [].
    '1=p'([]) -> 1; '1=p'([]) -> 2.
    '!p'([],1) -> []; '!p'([],2) -> [].

    Y = '#p'(2), 2 = '1=p'(Y)

The conditions we need are easy to state
4. There does not exist any term T such that
    Qi = T, Gi ==> true
    Qj = T, Gj ==> true
    i ~= j.
5. There do not exist any terms T1,...,Tn such that
    Pi1 = T1, ..., Pin = Tn, Gi ==> true
    Pj1 = T1, ..., Pjn = Tn, Gj ==> true
    i ~= j
but are less easy to check.  The example clearly violates condition 4.
The difficulty of checking these conditions (a decision procedure for
arithmetic appears to be required) would at first sight appear to be a
problem, but in fact there are good reasons not to impose them,

Now let's look at an example.

                    Queue package example.

We'll implement queues twice.

    -module(queue).
    -export([#empty/0,#nonempty/1,push/2,pop/1]).

    #empty() -> [].

    #nonempty() -> [_|_].  % violates condition 2

    push(Q, X) -> append(Q, [X]).

    pop([X|Q]) -> {X,Q}.

    %end.

    -module(queue).
    -export([#empty/0,#nonempty/1,push/2,pop/2]).

    #empty() -> {[],[]}.

    #nonempty() -> {[_|_],_};   % violates condition 2
    #nonempty() -> {[],[_|_]}.  % violates condition 2

    push({L,R}, X) -> {L,[X|R]}.

    pop({[X|L],R}) -> {X,{L,R}};
    pop({[],R}) -> [X|L] = reverse(R), {X,L}.

    %end.

    -module(bfs).
    -export(bfs/1).
    -import(problem, [solved/1,children/1]).
    -import(queue, [#empty/0,#nonempty/1,push/2,pop/1]).

    bfs(Start) ->
       loop(push(#empty(), Start)).

    loop(#empty()) -> undefined;
    loop(Q = #nonempty()) ->
       {X,P} = top(Q),
       case solved(X) of
         true  -> X;
         false -> loop(pushall(P, children(X)))
       end.

    pushall(Q, []) -> Q;
    pushall(Q, [H|T]) -> pushall(push(Q,H), T).

    %end.

Here's the translation of the bfs module:

    -module(bfs).
    -export(bfs/1).

    bfs(Start) ->
       loop(queue:push(queue:'#empty'(), Start)).

    loop(Q) when {} = queue:'0=empty'(Q) ->
        undefined;
    loop(Q) when {} = queue:'0=nonempty'(Q) ->
       {X,P} = queue:pop(Q),
       case problem:solved(X) of
         true  -> X;
         false -> loop(pushall(P, problem:children(X)))
       end.

    pushall(Q, []) -> Q;
    pushall(Q, [H|T]) -> pushall(queue:push(Q,H), T).

    %end.

I have argued elsewhere that there should be two directives

    -use_early(module, [used functors]).
    -use_late(module, [used functors]).

which indicate that specified functors from a specified module are used,
the former indicating early binding, neither of them indicating that a
name is imported into the local scope.  One reason for that was to
capture the good aspect of the preprocessor, which is precisely early
binding.  But note that if we used the preprocessor to hide the
implementation of queues from the programmer while revealing it to the
compiler, we would have to use early binding, while with abstract
patterns, that's an independent choice.  The bfs module can use #empty()
and #nonempty() as patterns without requiring early binding

Note that replacing one version of the queue module by another while
bfs/1 was running would not be a good idea.  This seems to be quite
typical, and I do not understand how Erlang avoids serious trouble.  The
problem is that once the bfs/1 function has received a data structure
from the queue module, it depends on the queue module still accepting
the same data structure, so the process running bfs/1 depends on the
queue module even when it is not calling a function from that module.
There really needs to be some sort of locking facility so that bfs/1
could be written

    bfs(start) ->
       with_module_lock(queue,
          loop(push(#empty(), Start))).

However, if we are aware that there are long-lived processes that have
data structures of the old form that need to be supported for a while,
we might choose to write a queue module that supports both forms, while
preferring the new one, and it is for this reason that abstract patterns
may have more than one clause.  (Although the second version of the
queue modules needs this anyway.)  Here goes:

    -module(queue).
    -export([#empty/0,#nonempty/1,push/2,pop/1]).

    #empty() -> {[],[]};
    #empty() -> [].        % violates condition 5

    #nonempty() -> {[_|_],_};
    #nonempty() -> {[],[_|_]};
    #nonempty() -> [_|_].  % violates condition 5

    push({L,R}, X) -> {L,[X|R]};
    push(Q, X) -> append(Q, [X]).

    pop({[X|L],R}) -> {X,{L,R}};
    pop({[],R}) -> [X|L] = reverse(R), {X,L};
    pop([X|Q]) -> {X,Q}.

    %end.

Try doing that with macros!

Of course, macros provide early binding and inlining in one easy step,
which may (but need not) be good for efficiency.  If an abstract pattern
is defined in the module that uses it, or if -use_early is defined, then
early binding occurs, and inlining is a possibility.  The option of
inlining may be better than the certainty of inlining.  Why?

The first, and perhaps most obvious, reason is that abstract patterns
are named code forms with well defined invocation and contents, just
like functions.  The fact that they can be used without requiring
inlining is good news for debuggers and interpreters, not to mention
test coverage analysers and profilers.

The second is that inlining doesn't always help efficiency.  There's no
point in executing 10% fewer instructions if, thanks to cache effects,
it takes 20% longer to do so.  Back in the late 80s at Quintus, a
certain competitor claimed that their native-code Prolog system
generated code that ran twice as fast as ours.  So it did, on naive
reverse.  On a two-page program (which didn't fit into the 68020's
on-chip instruction cache), it did no better than our threaded-code
system.  On a real program, it was twice as slow.  I have heard that the
same phenomenon occurred with BEAM -vs- JAM.  Inlining can have similar
effects, though less severe.

One extension to Erlang would make it easier to inline abstract
patterns, and that is disjunctive guards.  Currently, we have

    guard ::= ... '(' guard ')'

replace that by

    guard ::= ... '(' guard {'|' guard}... ')'

with the obvious semantics.  This would be useful anyway.

                What's wrong with records?

Records tangle up several things:
1 the possibility of naming a pattern
2 field and  update notation.
3 keyword and default arguments
4 a very specific data structure
5 a global name space
6 the possibility of unchecked conflicting definitions in that namespace
7 a requirement to use the preprocessor to get weak abstraction
8 syntax that includes what LOOK like pattern matches but aren't.

Some of these are good (1, 2, 3), some of them are less good (4), some
of them are bad (5 and 8) and some of them are very bad (6 and 7).
Pattern abstraction provides (1 and 2) without any of the others.

What's wrong with (4)?  First, it means that records actually give us no
abstraction at all; in the Erlang Standard specification, to be a record
of type T is precisely to be a tuple of a particular arity whose first
element is the atom T. Second, if we want to give a name to some other
structure, we are sunk, as records buy us nothing.  Here is a realistic
example.  Suppose we want to manipulate timestamps.  For compatibility
with current Erlang, we might want these timestamps to contain embedded
date and time values.  So

    #timestamp()            -> {_,      _}.
    #timestamp(DT,TM)       -> {DT,     TM}.
    #timestamp(Y,M,D,H,I,S) -> {{Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}.

    #time_date(DT)    -> {DT,_}.
    #time_date(Y,M,D) -> {{Y,M,D},_}.

    #time_time(TM)    -> {_,TM}.
    #time_time(H,I,S) -> {_,{H,I,S}}.

    #time_year(Y)   -> {{Y,_,_},_}.
    #time_month(M)  -> {{_,M,_},_}.
    #time_day(D)    -> {{_,_,D},_}.
    #time_hour(H)   -> {_,{H,_,_}}.
    #time_minute(I) -> {_,{_,I,_}}.
    #time_second(S) -> {_,{_,_,S}}.

Eventually, we purge our code of explicit references to the patterns,
and can switch to a more space-efficient representation:

    #timestamp()                 -> {_,_,_,_,_,_}.
    #timestamp({Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}) -> {Y,M,D,H,I,S}.
    #timestamp(Y,M,D,H,I,S)      -> {Y,M,D,H,I,S}.

    #time_date({Y,M,D}) -> {Y,M,D,_,_,_}.
    #time_date(Y, M, D) -> {Y,M,D,_,_,_}.

    #time_time({H,I,S}) -> {_,_,_,H,I,S}.
    #time_time(H, I, S) -> {_,_,_,H,I,S}.

    #time_year(Y)   -> {Y,_,_,_,_,_}.
    #time_month(M)  -> {_,M,_,_,_,_}.
    #time_day(D)    -> {_,_,D,_,_,_}.
    #time_hour(H)   -> {_,_,_,H,_,_}.
    #time_minute(I) -> {_,_,_,_,I,_}.
    #time_second(S) -> {_,_,_,_,_,S}.

What do we have here?  A change of representation.  What is it that
records do not allow you to vary?  The representation (except within
very narrow limits).

Just to resume a topic that may not have been clear before, here are the
functions we get for the first of these definition sets.

    '#timestamp'() -> error().
    '0=timestamp'({_,_}) -> {}.
    '!timestamp'({X1,X2}) -> {X1,X2}.

    '#timestamp'(DT, TM) -> {DT, TM}.
    '2=timestamp'({DT,TM}) -> {DT, TM}.
    '!timestamp'({X1,X2}, DT, TM) -> {DT,TM}.

    '#timestamp'(Y,M,D,H,I,S) -> {{Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}.
    '6=timestamp'({{Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}) -> {Y,M,D,H,I,S}.
    '!timestamp'({{X1,X2,X3},{X4,X5,X6}},Y,D,M,H,I,S) -> {{Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}.

    '#time_date'(DT) -> error().
    '1=time_date'({DT,_}) -> DT.
    '!time_date'({X2,X1}, DT) -> {DT,X1}.

    '#time_date'(Y,M,D) -> {{Y,M,D},_}.
    '3=time_date'({{Y,M,D},_}) -> {Y,M,D}.
    '!time_date'({X2,X1}, Y, M, D) -> {{Y,M,D},X1}.

    '#time_time'(TM) -> error().
    '1=time_time'({_,TM}) -> TM.
    '!time_time'({X1,X2}, TM) -> {X1,TM}.

    #time_time(H,I,S) -> error().
    '3=time_time'({_,{H,I,S}}) -> {H,I,S}.
    '!time_time'({X1,X2}, H, I, S) -> {X1,{H,I,S}}.

    '#time_year'(Y) -> error().
    '1=time_year'({{Y,_,_},_}) -> Y.
    '!time_year'({X4,X1,X2},X3}) -> {{Y,X1,X2},X3}.

    '#time_month'(M) -> error().
    '1=time_month'({{_,M,_},_}) -> M.
    '!time_month'({X1,X4,X2},X3}, M) -> {{X1,M,X2},X3}.

    '#time_day'(D) -> error().
    '1=time_day'({{_,_,D},_}) -> D.
    '!time_day'({X1,X2,X4},X3}, D) -> {{X1,X2,D},X3}.

    '#time_hour'(H) -> error().
    '1=time_hour'({_,{H,_,_}}) -> H.
    '!time_hour'({X1,{X4,X2,X3}}, H) -> {X1,{H,X2,X3}}.

    '#time_minute'(I) -> error().
    '1=time_minute'({_,{_,I,_}}) -> I.
    '!time_minute'({X1,{X2,X4,X3}}, I) -> {X1,{X2,I,X3}}.

    '#time_second'(S) -> error().
    '1=time_second'({_,{_,_,S}}) -> S.
    '!time_second'({X1,{X2,X3,X4}}, S) -> {X1,{X2,X3,S}}.

So if, for example, we wanted to refer to noon today, or to find what
year it is, we could write

    Noon_Today = timestamp:now()#time_time(12,0,0),
    This_Year = timestamp:now()#time_year

and these would work whether a timestamp was stored as one tuple or
three.  The -record approach cannot be used with the three tuple
version.  (It can't be used with the one tuple version either, because
there must be an atom serving as a tag, and it must be the first element
of the tuple, and it must be the same as the record name.)

What about keyword and default arguments (3)?  Are they not a benefit of
using records?  Yes, they are.  But they should be available for all
functions and abstract patterns, not just records.  Perhaps it is unfair
to say ``ask an Ada programmer'', because Ada doesn't use data the way
Erlang does.  But Ada programs do have lots of procedure and function
calls, just as Erlang does, and Erlang functions need more arguments
than Ada functions, for the same reasons as Prolog, so need keyword and
default arguments more than Ada does.  I intend that abstract patterns
should use whatever method is used to provide that feature for general
functions.

Do records really imply a global namespace?  Yes, because the record
name appears inside the record.  Consider:

    -module(a).
    -record(r, {X,Y,Z}).
    f(..R..) when record(R, r) ->

    -module(b).
    -record(r, {X,Y}).
    g(R) when record(R, r) -> f(R).
    ... g(#r{1,2}) ...

It is not clear exactly what the record/2 guard test should do.  One
manual says "This test checks that R is a tuple of arity N+1, where N is
the number of fields in the record, and the first element in the tuple
is the" atom naming the record.  This means that g/1 WILL believe that
record(R, r) is true, but f/1 will NOT.  That does mean that f/1 will not
be tricked into working with something that doesn't match its idea of
what an `r' record looks like, but programmers will find it very
confusing that record(R,r) can succeed in one module and fail in another.
It is also a nuisance that we cannot tell whether something "is a record
of type r" without having a -record declaration in scope.  That doesn't
apply to any other guard test.

The real problem comes when a and b agree on the arity of r but disagree
on the argument order or interpretation.  Consider again,

    -module(a).
    -record(r, {X,Y,Z}).
    f(...#r(X,Y,Z)...) -> ...

    -module(b).
    -record(r, {Z,Y,X}).
       f(...#r(Z,Y,X)...)

Either a global namespace for records is enforced (so that the record/2
guard test works consistently), or serious confusion may result.  The
snag here is that a record name ought to be `owned' by some module, but
in fact it is `owned' by a preprocessor file.

How do pattern abstractions address this problem?  In part, it must be
admitted, they don't. They are weak abstractions; there is no defence
against forgery, and little defence against accident other than adding a
tag, just like records.  The advantage comes from the fact that an
abstract pattern is clearly owned by a specific module; there is one
declaration, not multiple copies of a declaration.  Abstract pattern
names are module qualified, just like other function names.

There is something that could be done that would make accident unlikely
and forgery slightly harder.  Records differ from tuples in that they
are tagged.  The tags cannot be module-specific, because the same
declaration may be copied into many modules, with no clue as to which is
the owner.  All we do is take the idea of tagging, and bend the existing
module-specific literal syntax (like ?VERSION and ?MODULE) a little bit.
The directive

    -unique(name).

would mean that at load time a new ref() would be created and bound to
name, in such a way that the name can be recovered from the ref() for
debugging purposes, and at compile time each occurrence of ?name would
refer to that ref(). (This is like the classic Lisp hack of using a
unique cons cell or function closure as a tag.)  Then we could write

    -unique(ts).

    #timestamp()            -> {?ts,_,      _}.
    #timestamp(DT,TM)       -> {?ts,DT,     TM}.
    #timestamp(Y,M,D,H,I,S) -> {?ts,{Y,M,D},{H,I,S}}.

    #time_date(DT)    -> {?ts,DT,_}.
    #time_date(Y,M,D) -> {?ts,{Y,M,D},_}.

    #time_time(TM)    -> {?ts,_,TM}.
    #time_time(H,I,S) -> {?ts,_,{H,I,S}}.

    #time_year(Y)   -> {?ts,{Y,_,_},_}.
    #time_month(M)  -> {?ts,{_,M,_},_}.
    #time_day(D)    -> {?ts,{_,_,D},_}.
    #time_hour(H)   -> {?ts,_,{H,_,_}}.
    #time_minute(I) -> {?ts,_,{_,I,_}}.
    #time_second(S) -> {?ts,_,{_,_,S}}.

This is admittedly clumsy, but it's the idea I want to push, not the
syntax, which is at least local to the owning module.  This looks a bit
like the preprocessor, but it only requires recognising ?<id> as a
special form.  If we left the question mark off (and the binding to a
ref()) we would have the same insecure approach as records, without the
requirement of a fixed location for the tag.

Thanks to preprocessor use, that insecurity is real.  The really nasty
thing happens when module a gets its record declaration from foo.hrl,
module a is compiled and loaded, foo.hrl is changed, and another module
including (the revised version of) foo.hrl is compiled and loaded.  We
have a dependency between module a and foo.hrl which is not noticed;
partly because foo.hrl is not a module and is not, as such, loaded, and
partly because the dependency exists even while the code in foo.hrl is
not running.

So we are left with only one thing that abstract patterns cannot do as
well as records or better, than that is keyword and default parameters.
At one time it was expected that records would become new types; this
seems to have been dropped from the current Erlang Standard
specification (0.6); I surmise because of the difficulty of establishing
an `owner'.

There is one more thing that abstract patterns can do that records as
currently defined in Erlang cannot do, and that is enforce type
constraints on components.  Consider triangles.  We'd like a triangle to
be represented by a `record' containing three floats.  Using record
notation, all we can do is write

    -record(triangle{A,B,C}).

and hope.  Using abstract pattern notation, we can write

    #triangle(A,B,C) when float(A), float(B), float(C) -> {A,t,B,C}.

and this will enforce the type constraints on the components.  Here is a
sample use of this pattern, to see whether a value of this type is a
plausible triangle.

    plausible(#triangle(A,B,C))
      when 0 < A, A <= B+C,
           0 < B, B <= C+A,
           0 < C, C <= A+B
      -> true;
    plausible(_) -> false.

After translation and inline expansion, plausible/1 becomes

    plausible({A,t,B,C})  % check form
      when float(A), float(B), float(C), % check types
           0 < A, A <= B+C,
           0 < B, B <= C+A,
           0 < C, C <= A+B
      -> true;
    plausible(_) -> false.

This ability to propagate type information/checking from the declaration
to the uses, if the programmer wants it, is an important safety feature
that is completely missing from Erlang records, and is obtained without
any new runtime machinery.  Note that an Erlang compiler can easily
deduce from the use of A, B, C that they must be some kind of number,
but not which kind, not without interprocedural data flow analysis.
Even without inlining, we get the runtime type checking we choose in the
declaration, which has to be helpful if we want to build large systems.

The End.

The abstract pattern notation neatly replaces both the record
declarations and the use of the preprocessor.

Records let you say

    L2 = L#log{blocked_by = none, status = ok}

which is arguably prettier than

    L2 = L#log_blocked_by(none)#log_status(ok)

but not hugely so.  One could argue that the abstract pattern
version has the merit of not containing a manifestly false
pattern match 'status = ok'.

Records automatically provide you with a full set of record.field
forms; abstract patterns for them have to be separately declared.
On the other hand, records *force* you to accept a full set of
record.field forms even if you want some of them blocked, and it
is not at all clear how import/export of #record.field forms would
be controlled.

Records permit patterns like

    #log{status == S, users = N} = L

which is arguably prettier than

    #log_status(S) = #log_users(N) = L

but again, the latter never contains manifestly absurd matches.

Dynamic Patterns.

The parallel between abstract patterns and functions can be stretched a
little further.  In effect, we can regard a value of type
    (T1,...,Tn) => T0
[where => is the pattern arrow in distinction to the function arrow ->] as
a record
    ( b : (T1,...,Tn) -> T0    % building
      u : (T0,T1,...,Tn) -> T0    % updating
      d : T0 -> (T1,...,Tn)    % decomposing
    )
and
    X = #p(E1,...,En)       ==> X = p.b(E1,...,En)
    X = E0#p(E1,...,En)   ==> X = p.u(E0,E1,...,En)
    #p(P1,...,Pn) = E       ==> {P1,...,Pn} = p.d(E)
Since a triple of functions can be passed as a value, why not allow a
pattern to be passed as a value?  Let's put this in Erlang terms.

Define
    #E0(E1,...,En)
where E0 is not an atom or a module:atom pair to be
    #apply(E0, [E1,...,En])
Define
    #apply(Mod,E0,EL)
to be
    #apply({Mod,E0}, EL)
Now we have to define the use of #apply/2.

X = #apply(MF,L)
    where MF = {M,F}, L = [T1,...,Tn}, and M, F are atoms
    reduces to X = #M:F(T1,...,Tn), i.e. X = M:'#F'(T1,...,Tn).
    where MF is the result of (fun #F/N) executed statically within
    module M, L = [T1,...,Tn], and N = n,
    reduces to X = #M:F(T1,...,Tn)

X = E0#apply(MF,L)
    where MF = {M,F}, L = {T1,...,Tn} and M, F are atoms
    reduces to X = E0#M:F(T1,...,Tn) i.e. X = M:'!F'(E0,T1,...,Tn)
    where MF is the result of (fun #F/N) executed statically within
    module M, L = [T1,...,Tn], and N = n,
    reduces to X = Eo#M:F(T1,...,Tn).

#apply(MF, [P1,...,Pn]) = E
    where MF is statically a GuardExpression whose value is dynamically
    {M,F} for M and F atoms, and [P1,...,Pn] is statically a list of Patterns,
    reduces to #M:F(P1,...,Pn) = E, i.e. {P1,..,Pn} = M:'n=F'(E).
    where MF is statically a GuardExpression whose value is dynamically
    the result of (fun #F/N) executed statically within a module M,
    [P1,...,Pn] is statically a list of Patterns, and N = n,
    reduces to #M:F(P1,...,Pn) = E.

Now we can do things like this:

    proj(P, []) -> [];
    proj(P, [#P(X)|Xs[) -> [X|proj(P,Xs)].

    #unit_list(X) -> [X].
    #unit_tuple(X) -> {X}.

    ... proj(fun #unit_list/1, L), ...
    ... proj(fun #unit_tuple/1, LT), ...

By bending explicit fun syntax a little bit, we can even get anonymous
patterns:
    fun #( Pattern... ) when Guard -> Pattern
      ; #( Pattern... ) when Guard -> Pattern ...
    end
e.g.
    fun #(X) -> [X|_] end
is an anonymous `hd' pattern.  (The syntax here is based on two rules:
to get pattern syntax from function syntax, put # in front of the
[Module:]Name, and to get explicit fun syntax, put `fun' `end' around
the clauses and delete the function Name.)  It's not that I think
anonymous patterns are wildly useful; the point is that if they weren't
at least thinkable the parallels between patterns and functions would be
sploit, to the detriment of our ability to reason correctly about them.

Try doing that with records!

As a matter of fact, dynamic patterns do something for us that isn't
easy to get any other way.  Look at prof/2 again.  Is there any
nonsyntactic difference between

    proj(P, []) -> [];
    proj(P, [#P(X)|Xs]) -> [X|proj(P, Xs)].

and

    map(F, []) -> [];
    map(F, [X|Xs]) -> [F(X)|map(F, Xs)].

or is it just a piece of `cuteness' that lets you put the function call
on the `wrong' side?

Yes, there is a difference.  The function F in map/2 may do anything at
all; it may have side effects, it may allocate arbitrarily large amounts
of storage, it may run for huge amounts of time.  The pattern P in
proj/2 must be an abstraction of a pattern-and-guard:  it may not send
or receive messages, have any other side effects, allocate huge amounts
of storage, or take unbounded amounts of time.  It is forced to be well
behaved in ways that an arbitary function parameter is not.  Indeed, we
are sure that the value X it returns in proj/2 is part of the term it
matches, so it really is a projection function.  If we want to reason
about the effects of a code fragment, proj/2 is significantly easier to
reason about than map/2.  This means that anonymous patterns do have a
use:

    proj(fun #(X) -> {X,_,_} end, L)

is trivially well-behaved, whereas

    map(fun ({X,_,_}) -> X end, L)

requires more analysis to see its harmlessness.  (Of course, checking
higher order functions is never entirely trivial, and it is something of
a pity that they were added to Erlang so hastily.  Topic for another
working paper.)

When you've invented a language construct, a good sign that you are onto
something worthwhile is that applications come faster than you have time
to write them down.  When I wrote the stuff about dynamic abstract
patterns, I didn't have an application in mind.  But I suddently realised
that there was a proposal I thought of last year which had been languishing
because there was no safe way to do it.

Erlang processes are vulnerable to a denial-of-service attack where a
malicious or erroneous process repeatedly sends "junk mail".  The Erlang
documentation recommends that most or all 'receive' commands should
include a wildcard case to discard junk mail, but that has the disadvantage
that it won't discard junk mail until the process actually executes a
receive.  Junk mail can pile up while a process is suspended.  If nothing
else, it causes the recipient of the junk mail to pay (in processing and
garbage collection time) to inspect it.

Last year I came up with the idea of a 'message filter'.

    set_process_filter(fun (Msg) -> ... true | false end)

would mean that whenever a (local) process send a message to this one,
the message filter function would run IN THE SENDER'S THREAD to see if
the message was ok.  If it returned 'false', the message would be
discarded, otherwise it would be retained.

The problem with that is that it makes the sender vulnerable to Trojan
horses; the message filter function could do absolutely anything while
masquerading as the sender.  What I needed was a way of declaring and
enforcing that the message filter function would execute in bounded time
with no side effects.

Does that sound familiar?  It's basically an abstract pattern.

So here's the new proposal.

    set_process_filter(fun #() when Guard -> Pattern end)

        If the argument is a pattern expression of arity 0, then
        when a message is sent to this process, the pattern will
        be executed in the sender's thread and if it matches the
        message will be sent and if it fails the message will be
        discarded.

    set_process_filter(fun #(Result) when Guard -> Pattern end)

        If the argument is a pattern expression of arity 1, then
        when a message is sent to this process, the pattern will
        be executed in the sender's thread, and if it matches,
        the Result will be sent, and if it fails, the message
        will be discarded.

Of course these forms are only illustrative; there could be any number
of clauses and fun #F/0 or fun #F/1 could be used instead.  The use of
set_process_filter/1 would be to allow simple protocol conversions.

Whether this feature is as useful as I think is debatable; Tobbe
argues that the best idea is to conceal processes inside their creating
modules, and I think he's probably right about that.  The point is that
dynamic functions whose cost is certainly bounded are a useful thing to
have, and they fall out quite naturally from trying to take abstract
patterns seriously.