Packages in Erlang: new documentation

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz@REDACTED
Thu Sep 4 13:14:03 CEST 2003

Ulf Wiger (ÄL2/EAB) wrote:
> I'm not thrilled by the idea of tying module names to directory
> structure closer than before. I have yet to come up with a better
> scheme, though.

The important thing is that, given a fully qualified module name, module
files should be easy to find.

Search paths are a horror in this regard, unless you have generous tool
support.

Search paths combined with subdirectories are horror squared, even with
tool support (I've been working with Java where this scenario is true,
and it's most definitely not fun trying to find out in which of a
gazillion subdirectories a particular module is).

To avoid these hassles, I'd like to place all module files of a package
in a single directory. Module "remote.module.name.called.boojum" would
then reside in  file "remote.module.name.called.boojum.erl".
This might get into trouble with operating systems that don't have long
file names, but I just hope that we can ignore these today...

Regards,
Jo