<spam> Improving Web Services

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Oct 2 05:27:55 CEST 2003

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> wrote:
	It seems that some people are not very pleased with performance of Web Services,
	and Sun (I think) has a research team that works on replacing XML with a binary
	format for the data. "This will improve performance" says one spokesperson.

	Now, really - how long has it been since the first voices were raised against
	XMLs extreme verbosity for this kind of use?

Since XML was first described.  (For at least a year I thought XML-RPC
was a joke cooked up by a student; I couldn't believe that anybody might
intend something like that seriously.)  I'm also having a bit of trouble
believing a proposal for an XML encoding of the ODMG Object Interchange
Format; you can compress that by about a factor of 2 while still staying
in XML.

There's a reason why WAP uses a compression scheme for sending WML pages.

In fairness to XML, it compresses quite nicely.  XMill works quite well.