Web applications unification

Wiger Ulf ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed May 28 01:08:26 CEST 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Mikael Karlsson wrote:

> tisdag 27 maj 2003 13:36 skrev Ulf Wiger:
> >
> > I agree. I also added 'builder' to jungerl as an attempt to
> > provide a lightweight aide for packaging OTP applications
> > and building start scripts. I don't know how well it
> > succeeded (and it does need more work).
> >
> > The general idea was that you should be able to
> > incrementally build more and more complex systems with
> > relative ease.
>
> Yes, hmm this means that one should use generic behaviours like
> gen_server etc. in such a framework?

If you want to use gen_servers, you could of course, but that has nothing to
do with builder.

The builder utility is intended to simplify the task of building .app files,
.rel files, and finally .script and .boot files in order to start a system.

When building a framework of different Open Source contributions, I think it
helps to agree on a way to start the applícations. OTP provides such a way.
What you want to do in the start function in order to get your processes
running is another matter. I believe that the gen_server behaviour is quite
useful, and I use it myself as much as I can, but it's not really something
that affects your APIs, so it's normally an internal implementation detail.

/Uffe