Complexity Shock Horror II: the Sequel (was Re: MD5 in erlang

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Mon Mar 31 15:33:50 CEST 2003

Raimo Niskanen wrote:

> Some comments and some problems. Since Erlang supports the Base#Integer
> syntax i think that Base in:
>     integer_to_list(Integer, Base)
> should be 2..16, not atoms.

I just thought it would look nice, but I can buy 2..16 (btw do you know
any one using base 13 for output? and since we only alow 2..16 its kind
of crippled anyway)

> The same for:
>     list_to_integer(List, Base)

Oh well.

> But what should happen if you call list_to_integer("16#1f", 8), and how
> should you specify any base. I guess the answers are: badarg on the
> first and list_to_integer("16#1f", undefined) on the second question.

Like you said, do NOT allow base syntax in the list_to_integer/2 (why
should you?) but maybe in list_to_integer/1 (if that does not break
anything, it could!)

> And to add the prefix in the Right(tm) way is a bit awkward:
>     List = case integer_to_list(Integer, 16) of
>             L -> "16#"++L
>         end

My oppinon is that we ignore the prefix stuff completly just to get
things on it's way. I myself have never sent any output in base syntax
(anyone?).

/Tony