Linking to/from a gen_server?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 12:40:14 CET 2003

Bjorn Gustavsson <bjorn@REDACTED> wrote:
> Shawn Pearce <spearce@REDACTED> writes:
> > I'm only interested in this gen_server monitoring a large number
> > (around 4-5k) of local processes so that if they crash or terminate
> > unexpectedly the ets dictionary is cleaned up so future lookups for
> > that process won't find it.
> >

> ... we have not optimized the code for that many processes (yet, at least).
> There will be a linear slowdown that will probably be quite noticeable.

Ok, I was afraid of that.  :-)

Within my design, it wouldn't be a problem for me to setup slaves which
tracked the monitors for the master.  So we have

	master <-- link --> n_slaves -- monitor --> 4k_processes

Where n_slaves is some number of slaves such that it's not slow.  :)
I was originally thinking that links were limited to something like
100 links per process, and was thus going to setup about 400 slaves
in a tree to handle 100 links each.

Any idea of what would be a good number of monitors per process
that balances between slow and reasonable?

--
Shawn.

  Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.