standard_io

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Tue Jun 3 09:05:20 CEST 2003

Yes, it is possible to have several stanard io:s. See the erlang man
page for module erlang, functions group_leader/0,1.

	  Every process is a member of some process group and all
           groups have a leader.

What is not mentioned is that the group leader is the process that takes
care of standard output.

The simplest way to find a group leader is to ask one process
(group_leader/0) perhaps send that group leader to another node, and set
the group leader for the process that needs to print through the other
process's group leader.

You can also print on any group leader you have the process identifier
of, by io:format/3 and such.

It is also very possible to connect to a detached node. If you for
example start a node with "erl -detached -sname baggins" on the machine
"shire", and a (server) process on that machine registers the name
"frodo" - you can send to that process from any other node started with
the "-sname" flag (having the same magic communication cookie) on the
same network with for example "{frodo, baggins@REDACTED"} ! {self(),
hello}", and the communication is started. The process whith registered
as "frodo" gets a message containing a process identifier that can be
used to send the reply.