behaviours

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jul 28 17:13:13 CEST 2003

--- Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi
<Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED> wrote:

> I dont think requiring some functions is a good
> idea. gen_server for
> instance provides three different ways for a server
> to interact with the
> outside world. If I choose to use only
> gen_server:call in my server, I dont
> want to provide dummy functions and clutter the
> code. The same could be said
> of user defined behaviours.

I think I was unclear. The idea was not to _always_
require functions, but to enable the behaviour-writer
to mark _some_ functions as required, as dictated by
the behaviour code. "If you don't provide these
functions, the behaviour won't ever run."

For gen_server, the init function might be required,
while call/cast/... could be optional, etc.

Best,
Thomas