Distributing computations

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Jul 28 15:53:42 CEST 2003

Hi,

From: "Luke Gorrie" <luke@REDACTED>
> I've never done any of this stuff, but have been doing some reading
> and looking for an excuse to :-). You're not getting any solid info
> out of me, but maybe some inspiring/entertaining/distracting links :-)

I don't expect a solution, but just as you say - inspiration!

> It seems the main trick is to design an algorithm that can run in
> parallel.

Yes, that's one thing that has to be tailored after the specific problem at
hand.

> Then it seems a popular package today is Parallel Virtual Machine
> (PVM), http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html.

I was thinking about using Erlang as back-end :-)

I found some references at
http://www.aspenleaf.com/distributed/distrib-devel.html, and I think ideas from
Q2ADPZ (at http://qadpz.idi.ntnu.no) could be reused with relative ease. The
fact is, ERTS does already a lot of the things that such a beast should do, and
better - probably except only the security aspects.

And, hey!, it's also a good oportunity to use UBF, both -A and -B! :-)

Thanks for the input. Regards,
Vlad