Window focus discipline

Wiger Ulf ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Jul 3 19:53:35 CEST 2003

Finally, the list is back!  :-)

Having just fired up my old PC at home, I'm as usual extremely annoyed
with the disgustingly undisciplined Windows programs, all trying to
grab focus over and over while starting up. Needless to say, X-Windows
environments are a lot more disciplined. Still (considering the apparent
urge on this list to invent new graphics environments), I was wondering
if the most well-behaved of windowing environments shouldn't actively
monitor keyboard and mouse activity in the active window, and not
throw up a new window in front while the user is obviously doing
stuff.

That is, if I start two applications, and one comes up and I start
using it right away, at least I would prefer it if the other application
stay completely in the background, and don't steal focus from
the application I'm currently using.

/Uffe